Friday 14 October 2011

What I learned this week...

Our first week of homeschooling has come to an end (we're ending early today so Ryan and I can go to a wedding!).  It has been packed full of learning, more for me than the kids I think!

Here's what I've learned:

Mod Podge is not a substitute for white glue.
Not only does it not stick things like pom poms to paper. It also is incredibly difficult to get off of tiny fingers...and table tops.  I'm sure I knew all this but I had no glue and the only other sticky substance I had was honey.  Maybe I should have gone with the honey...


Plan/prepare for the week, not the day.
At the beginning of the week, I wrote out a lesson plan for the week that was very general.  I had planned on preparing a more detailed plan and printing, cutting, etc. each night.  I have 3 kids and I'm in school too, things ALWAYS come up. Why I thought that I'd have free time to do this every night is beyond me! From now on, I want to plan all in one night and prepare everything for the week in another.  Then its done and I'm free!

Regular snack times prevent melt downs.
I was reminded this week that my kids are no fun when they're hungry.

"Seriously mom, make lunch."
Prayer is therapeutic.
Not just for me but for the kids too.  We were all trying to figure things out this week and it was stressful.  Finally, I just sat down and prayed with the kids.  Surprise, surprise, things got better.  I think just sitting quietly and talking about the struggle we're having really helps.  For all of us.


Comfort is key.
If the kids want to sit, stand, walk around, go outside, wear pjs, etc.  that's ok.  You learn best with little distractions...being uncomfortable is a huge distraction!


Trying is the best way to learn.  If it doesn't work at least you've learned what NOT to do!
I'm sure this is something I'll need to be reminded of.


No matter what we decided to do for schooling, there will be doubts.  
I think I will always doubt myself and my decisions.   We have time before we need to decide if we will homeschool full time.  When that time comes, I hope the decision will bring peace with it.  I know I will always have moments of doubt.  There's nothing I can do about that.  The best thing I can do is give those doubts to God. 

So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today's trouble is enough for today.  Matthew 6:34

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, you have a beautiful family there.
    I am following you via GFC. Thanks for visiting my blog, I hope you come back and follow me too.
    Have a great day.
    Darlene
    http://mylittlehouseoftreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog @ WV Stitcher. I hopped over to return the visit and follow you. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, stoppin' by from the Lovin' the Weekend Hop, http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/
    I am your newest follower!
    I hope you can stop by my blog, say hello and follow back if you like.

    You have a really beautiful blog and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, thanks for stopping by Tots and Me and linking up to Lovin' The Weekend Blog Hop. It is very nice to have met you. Love finding new homeschool blogs. This post was a great reminder for me. We have been home preschooling for a couple of years now and this year I am a bit unsure of what we are doing because it is so different.
    Your post was very encouraging to me. Thank you.
    You have a sweet family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by at Something4Everything. Please feel free to visit us again anytime and link up to us on Thursday.

    Very nice pictures of your little ones by the way. I guess we'll always learn something new each task we make no matter how many times we have done them in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...